One of my favourite times of year, Easter. And so, as you gronff your way through a mound of hot cross buns and chocolate eggs, and maybe even attend a church service or two, here's the Emmerdale '80s Easter Quiz. Some of the answers are a teensy bit difficult (a few can be found on this blog), some are easy-peasy. Can you answer all twenty questions?
1) Who was the landlord of Beckindale’s “other” hostelry, The Malt Shovel?
2) Two actresses portrayed Seth Armstrong’s wife, Meg, in the 1980s. Can you name them both?
3) Which character left England bound for France in 1983?
4) Who murdered Harry Mowlam in 1986?
5) What was the name of Sandie Merrick’s daughter?
6) Al Dixon’s version of the Woolpack’s silent regular, Walter, debuted in September 1980 and was last seen on screen just before Christmas 1985. The actor was ill and unable to continue in the role, although it was at first hoped he would return to it. What was the reason given for Walter’s departure from Beckindale in January 1986?
7) Pat, Sandie and Jackie Merrick briefly rented accommodation from NY Estates in the early ‘80s. What was it?
8) What was the name of Alan Turner’s son, who turned up in Beckindale in 1985?
9) The Rev Donald Hinton had a daughter who arrived at the Vicarage fleeing from marital problems in 1983. Name her.
10) Archie Brooks stated that everything would be all right once he’d solved his financial problem in 1985. What was his financial problem?
11) Evenin’ All! Which long-serving Beckindale bobby began pounding the village
beat in 1980?
12) And who played him?
13) When Amos Brearly went “upwardly mobile” in 1983 and took up golf, he met The Major, a fiercesome local bully and snob. The actor behind The Major became the terror of a well known fictitious school later in the decade. Can you name him?
14) In which year was Samuel David Skilbeck born?
15) Seth Armstrong ended up in hospital in 1986. Why?
16) Who played Kathy Bates/Merrick?
17) And who played her mother?
18) Henry Wilks suddenly manifested symptoms of a seasonal ailment he’d never suffered from before in 1989. What was it?
19) Name the two actors who played Tom Merrick in the 1980s.
20) For her birthday in 1986, Matt surprised Dolly with a holiday. Where was it?
1) Ernie Shuttleworth; 2)Ursula Camm and Ruth Holden. 3) Joe Sugden; 4) Derek Warner; 5) Louise; 6) He went to visit his sister. 7) A caravan. 8) Terence; 9) Barbara Peters; 10) He hadn't got any money. 11) Sergeant Ian MacArthur; 12) Martin Dale; 13) Michael Sheard; 14) 1982; 15) He was beaten up by badger baiters. 16) Malandra Burrows; 17) Diana Davies; 18) Hayfever; 19) Edward Peel and Jack Carr. 20) Bridlington